This week we are spending some time working to choose books that are a good fit. Of course with being able to pick 2 books, one can still be a free choice, as it should be!
Many of our teachers are using the iPick method for selecting books according to the Daily 5. We've incorporated it into the library as well and it offers our students the ability to see connections between what they learn in the classroom and other places they will choose books (libraries, home and book stores). Ask your child about it and talk about using it outside of the school if possible!
i= I choose a book
P= Purpose (What is my reason for choosing a book? What do you need or want the book for- information to learn something? To enjoy a story? To practice your reading skills?)
I= Interest (Do I find the book interesting? Be sure to not decide by the cover alone, says your librarian! Read the blurb and open it up to poke around before you decide!)
C= Comprehend (Do I understand what I am reading? Try a page and ask yourself if you get that you are reading.)
K= Know most of the words (Can I read most of the words? Notice it does not say ALL of the words- if you can read them all it is probably too easy to be a good fit book, but maybe you should still check it out because you really want to because that can be your free choice! If you can't read most of it, but still really want that book, you can get it as a free choice and have someone you care about read it with you or enjoy the pictures on your own. If you can read all but a few of the words pretty comfortably, then it is probably just right to help you develop as a reader!
The Daily 5 was created by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser.
Check out http://www.the2sisters.com/ for more information on the Daily Five.
0 comments:
Post a Comment